With the arrival of the Spring season, we are reminded to step back and allow ourselves the space to reset, refresh and renew some things in our lives. Spring is a sign of new beginnings, new life, and refreshment. Flowers begin to bloom, and animals start to come out of their hibernation stage. In this beautiful time, we are reminded of how important it is to live a life filled with joy.
In French culture, the term joie de vivre translates as the joy of living or the exuberant enjoyment of life. In a world filled with so many things happening on a day to day basis finding pleasure in the simple things is essential. Recently, I decided to take more time away from technology to become more present in my everyday life. I am finding joy in resting, reading and watching my favorite shows. I am more fulfilled with putting my focus on doing activities I love versus allowing the distraction of technology to consume my time.
After spending spending five years in Europe I learned to embrace the concept of joie de vivre. It changed my life in so many ways; I was happier less distracted and didn’t fill the need to consume. When I came back to the USA in 2006, I realized how much I desired the European way of life versus the American way of life.
However, since I have been living back in the United States for the last thirteen years I am learning to find ways to fill my life with joie de vivre. Below I have listed five ways you can incorporate the French idea of joie de vivre into your daily life.
1. Take a week off. Instead of heading out of town take a week off work to stay at home. Schedule time to do the things you love while you are at home like sleep in, watching your favorite show via Netflix or reading your favorite book.
2. Pamper Yourself. Whether it is scheduling a spa day, getting your hair done or simply walking in nature spend sometime connecting back to your soul.
3. Meditate. Meditation is a great way to enjoy the present moment. It is a great way to help you let go of the stress of everyday life.
4. Be Still. Slowing down and taking time to pause is a great way to incorporate the concept of joie de vivre. When you take a minute to pause it generates a sense of calmness into your life.
5. Make a “have fun list”. We spend so much time checking off our to do list just to feel overwhelmed because we realize there is still so many things to do. I think it is good to have a list filled with fun things you desire to do versus what you think you should be doing.
I hope this list is a beginning of you embracing the idea of joie de vivre. Comment below on which one you will do to create some joie de vivre in your life.